Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Article: Deactivate Facebook?

I have done what some people think is totally crazy. What was so horrible? I deactivated my Facebook account. Yes, you read it correctly. My next step is to just cancel the darn thing altogether.

One might ask why in the world I would want to get rid of Facebook. Well, there are many reasons. Here is a simplified list:

1. I feel like a neighbor who is intruding on other people's business.

2. I have nothing to talk to you about when I have read your life story over Facebook.

3. I do not believe that everyone that I have come into contact with needs to know what I have been up to lately. (Yes, I know there are filters. But when someone else read the post but so and so didn't see it there seems to be some sort of social problem with that.)

4. I don't want to deal with the issue of somebody I do not know wants to be friends on Facebook when I ignored them the first three times.

5. I don't see the need to "Like" anything in order to get a coupon or entered into a contest.

6. Facebook is loosing the charm of what it was intended for as it continues to grow.

7. I can do without people hashing their problems out via Facebook posts.

8. When I don't spend time on Facebook, I have more time to have real interaction with people that actually matter.

9. Nobody needs to know that I can play a good game of Bejeweled. I will do what I want in my free time and I don't need other people "watching" me or trying to beat my high score. I was just trying to relax.

10. I don't have to do what everyone else is doing. I am fine being an oddball. My mom used to tell me God broke the mold when He made me. Since there isn't anyone like me, might as well not fight it.

So there you have it. My reasons for deactivating my Facebook account. Anyone else want to join me?

No comments:

Post a Comment